Sunday, January 30, 2005

I was jogging in the early morning with my friend Tim who I was staying with in Wellington. We were talking about the pictures from the probe sent to Titan. Tim, who has a much greater degree of interest in space told me that the mars rovers were still going, 360 days after they landed when their anticipated life was only 80 days, and that the titan probe was only sending back one data stream because they'd forgotten to turn the other one on. I realised that we had different levels of knowledge about the same topic even though we both only took a passing or amateur interest in the topic. If the sun could be used as a metaphor for knowledge about space exploration, Tim was more tanned than I. He was slightly 'closer to the sun'. It got me thinking about the way clusters of knowledge occur in organisations, and that the level of 'light' diminishes the further away from that source we are. If we want to make sure people in our organisations are more 'enlightened', perhaps it's about moving them closer to the source, or taking away shade causing barriers than it is about moving the knowledge to them.

No comments: